Did you know?

> Some young children with developmental delays may catch up to their typically developing peers with appropriate interventions. Others may not.

> Medicaid is currently the primary funding stream for programs and services and supports offered to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities after the age of 21 and is the funding stream for many related services for the school-age population.

> Children with disabilities may qualify for Medicaid regardless of family income? Even families with incomes well over that allowed by Medicaid can apply and may have their child deemed Medicaid eligible.

> The Medicaid Waiver is NOT a program but a funding stream that pays for certain services and supports “waiving” some of the strict Medicaid rules and regulations.

> The right to a free and appropriate education (FAPE) is an entitlement under federal law for all children of school-age (5-21) and for children ages 3-5 that are deemed eligible for special education.

> After the age of 21, adult programs are NOT an entitlement under the law. Rather, you will have to advocate to obtain adult services and supports.

> New York State has always had the most comprehensive array of services available to meet the needs of children and individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities in the country.

> Dually-eligible and dually-diagnosed are NOT the same thing. An individual who is dually-eligible is eligible for funding from Medicaid and Medicare. A person who is dually-diagnosed is usually someone with a developmental disability and a   psychiatric diagnosis or a chemical dependency or a medical diagnosis.

> Your son/daughter can have private insurance as well as Medicaid.

> If you are being evicted or threatened with eviction, you can call 212-962-4795, the City-Wide Task Force on Housing Court.

> All New Yorkers without health insurance, including people who are undocumented, can receive healthcare from Community Health Centers (CHCs) and from the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC), or the NYU Free Clinic.

> The U. S. Department of Transportation has a Hotline for air travelers with Disabilities: 1-800-778-4838.

> You can call the NYC Human Resources, at 877-472-8411, for information on Medicaid Home Care eligibility.

> For Food Stamps and Food Programs, you can call the Emergency Foodline at 311 or toll-free at 866-888-8777.

> You need to call the TOTLINE, at 800-577-BABY, to make a referral for Early Intervention Services.

> Once your son or daughter with a developmental disability reaches the age of 18, no matter what his or her cognitive capacity, you are NO longer his or her legal guardian unless you file a petition for guardianship with the Surrogates Court in your borough of residence.

> A traumatic brain injury incurred before the age of 22 is considered to be a developmental disability whereas the same injury if incurred after the age of 21 is NOT a developmental disability.

> If an individual has a Special Needs Trust, he or she may still be eligible for Medicaid.

> An individual may receive multiple services under the OPWDD Medicaid Waiver.

> An individual with a developmental disability may receive different services from many different provider organizations.