Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions2022-04-11T10:49:50-04:00
Did you know?2022-03-22T12:32:43-04:00

Did you know?

> Some young children with developmental delays may catch up to their typically developing peers with appropriate interventions. Others may not.

> Medicaid is currently the primary funding stream for programs and services and supports offered to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities after the age of 21 and is the funding stream for many related services for the school-age population.

> Children with disabilities may qualify for Medicaid regardless of family income? Even families with incomes well over that allowed by Medicaid can apply and may have their child deemed Medicaid eligible.

> The Medicaid Waiver is NOT a program but a funding stream that pays for certain services and supports “waiving” some of the strict Medicaid rules and regulations.

> The right to a free and appropriate education (FAPE) is an entitlement under federal law for all children of school-age (5-21) and for children ages 3-5 that are deemed eligible for special education.

> After the age of 21, adult programs are NOT an entitlement under the law. Rather, you will have to advocate to obtain adult services and supports.

> New York State has always had the most comprehensive array of services available to meet the needs of children and individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities in the country.

> Dually-eligible and dually-diagnosed are NOT the same thing. An individual who is dually-eligible is eligible for funding from Medicaid and Medicare. A person who is dually-diagnosed is usually someone with a developmental disability and a   psychiatric diagnosis or a chemical dependency or a medical diagnosis.

> Your son/daughter can have private insurance as well as Medicaid.

> If you are being evicted or threatened with eviction, you can call 212-962-4795, the City-Wide Task Force on Housing Court.

> All New Yorkers without health insurance, including people who are undocumented, can receive healthcare from Community Health Centers (CHCs) and from the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC), or the NYU Free Clinic.

> The U. S. Department of Transportation has a Hotline for air travelers with Disabilities: 1-800-778-4838.

> You can call the NYC Human Resources, at 877-472-8411, for information on Medicaid Home Care eligibility.

> For Food Stamps and Food Programs, you can call the Emergency Foodline at 311 or toll-free at 866-888-8777.

> You need to call the TOTLINE, at 800-577-BABY, to make a referral for Early Intervention Services.

> Once your son or daughter with a developmental disability reaches the age of 18, no matter what his or her cognitive capacity, you are NO longer his or her legal guardian unless you file a petition for guardianship with the Surrogates Court in your borough of residence.

> A traumatic brain injury incurred before the age of 22 is considered to be a developmental disability whereas the same injury if incurred after the age of 21 is NOT a developmental disability.

> If an individual has a Special Needs Trust, he or she may still be eligible for Medicaid.

> An individual may receive multiple services under the OPWDD Medicaid Waiver.

> An individual with a developmental disability may receive different services from many different provider organizations.

How can I help AHRC NYC support people with disabilities?2022-03-22T12:34:48-04:00

How can I help AHRC NYC support people with disabilities?

There are many ways that you can support AHRC New York City and the people we provide services to:

The AHRC New York City Foundation offers a variety of options for donating funds in support of our cause.

Visit our website’s Community Partners page to learn about the variety of ways you can help.

You can also support what we do by following us on Facebook and helping to pass along vital information through your own personal network.




How do I apply for a job at AHRC NYC?2019-12-04T14:08:38-05:00

How do I apply for a job at AHRC NYC?

We encourage all interested job candidates to use our Online Job Portal to review and apply for available positions. The online portal contains a regularly updated list of positions that are currently open and which allows you to submit your resume for consideration using an on-line application process. To view our Online Job Portal or to learn more about the application process, please visit the Careers section of this website.

What kinds of jobs does AHRC NYC offer?2018-06-08T11:48:55-04:00

What kinds of jobs does AHRC NYC offer?

AHRC New York City offers a variety of employment opportunities including Direct Care, Clinical, Social Work, Teaching, Finance, Case Management, and IT. To learn more, please visit the Careers section of this website.

Who can I speak to to learn more about AHRC NYC’s services?2018-06-08T11:49:03-04:00

Who can I speak to to learn more about AHRC NYC’s services?

If you would like general information about the services offered by AHRC New York City, please call our Referral and Information Center at 212-780-4491.

Are evaluations available through AHRC NYC that can determine if a person has an intellectual or developmental disability?2019-12-04T14:11:31-05:00

Are evaluations available through AHRC NYC that can determine if a person has an intellectual or developmental disability?

Yes. AHRC New York City has a staff of qualified professionals available to conduct evaluations such as psychological evaluations; psychiatric evaluations; medical evaluations; nursing, nutrition and podiatry evaluations; occupational, speech and physical therapy evaluations.  Arrangements can be made to provide other evaluations as needed. For more information, please call our Referral and Information Center at 212-780-4491.

What kind of services does AHRC New York City Offer?2018-06-08T11:49:11-04:00

What kind of services does AHRC New York City Offer?

AHRC New York City offers individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities a wide range of programs, services and supports tailored to meet their specific needs. For information on services offered at AHRC New York City, please visit the Services & Supports section of this website.

What does AHRC stand for?2022-04-12T09:46:06-04:00

What does AHRC stand for?

Advocacy * Humanity * Reimagination * Change

A stands for Advocacy

We stand for something. AHRC New York City is the advocate for people who are neurodiverse. Join us in the fight for greater access and opportunity.

We support people who are neurodiverse to lead full and equitable lives. We’re excited and energized by the potential in the world and strive to be the source of new services, solutions and directions for people who are neurodiverse. This means better education, living arrangements, opportunities for work and fuller lives in the community.

H stands for Humanity

We’re here to support people who are neurodiverse. Physically, emotionally, and socially.

We firmly believe in the oneness of all humankind. Our vision is a world where the power of difference is embraced, valued, and celebrated. We also understand that everyone has different needs and to each according to their needs.

R stands for Reimagination

Endless curiosity, creativity and optimism starts here, and works its way to influence the people with power to change policy in new and visionary ways.

We desire to investigate, learn, and go beyond. We put innovation, technology, data, and people to work to deliver dynamic and efficient supports to people who are neurodiverse and their families in the communities in which they live and to impact the policies that affect them.

C stands for Change

Our focus is resolute. Changing how people think about neurodiversity. We call this Equalism.

We’re forthright and realistic about what people who are neurodiverse need to thrive. We throw open the doors to honest dialogue even around tough subjects, actions, or decisions. We admire courage. While we don’t pretend to have all of the answers yet, we’re spirited and never take no for an answer on the journey to positive change.